We had an wonderful experience at last weeks reception and cake cutting. As I might have said before the traditional Marine Corps cake cutting ceremony is the passing of the USMC history and traditions from the oldest marine to the youngest.
This week was particularly special as one of our marine graduates (the youngest) had his grandfather there who was in his late 80's and partially blind and they shared the passing of the cake tradition. It was so touching!
One of our graduating marines had no family coming and so we become substitute parents for the day. It is fun getting to know the individual marines better. We took Bryan out to lunch and then to the Mormon Battalion site. We then took him to Cold Stone for ice cream and of course he was in his uniform and his treat was free!
Two good looking Marines!!!!
We had the opportunity to volunteer at "Parent's Night Out" this week. It was 120 children ranging in age from 4 to 12. While it was a madhouse, the family group at the base had it well organized with different activities at different stations. Jim and I were story readers and tellers. I say story tellers because the older children did not want to read the Gingerbread Man so Jim told them war stories about flying in Vietnam and they were completely enthralled :-)
We had a lot of fun but it lasted 5 hours and by the time we were finished, we were tired and I could not talk very well. I had to read loudly to be sure everyone could hear.
We are decorating our little apartment for Christmas. We decided that since we will be here for two Christmases, we should get a little tree. Plus, Camden, her fiance, Eric, Suzy and Taylor are coming for the holiday. We are very excited to have family here!!!
Amy's family sent us some homemade decorations and we have some Marine Corps ornaments too.
We will be speaking this Sunday at church on the base and I felt inspired to talk about remembering.
So many places in the scriptures talk about remembering our Savior and living as we should.
As we go through this Christmas time, I pray we will all "Remember" the reason for the season!






No comments:
Post a Comment